« Home | Duh! I have had this feeling for quite some time n... » | vi chennai.MEM This weekend resembled Advani's ra... » | Once in a blue moon on Saturday. Two full moons on... » | In Search of a new home I saw these fotos in Reut... » | Support Bihar and Assam "God cannot be so cruel. ... » | "What's in a name? That which we call a rose By an... » | The Moore Machine I watched Michael Moore's "Fahre... » | Arizona Diamondbacks have gone from riches to rag... » | You got to be kidding Here is a chance for all th... » | Comfortably Dumb I had this wild imagination las... » 

8/03/2004 

Ishtyle Statement

"He is a cheapo ya" commented one of the girls about me as I was trying to exchange glances with a goodlooking girl in Besant Nagar Beach. "Cheapo" - is this really English?? Nope- but who cares? Girls in Chennai use this all the time to describe guys who enjoy the pulchrititude of the women through sharp long glances.
Reading this piece in Hindu today, I wanted to say a few things about college "lingo". Most guys in Chennai often use "Wassup? Machan" related closely to its cousin in English "Wassup Dude?". Most guys till 12th standard wouldn't have even heard the word "Machan". By most, I meant the really "fruit" ones who used to listen and really write down every single syllable that used to come out of the teacher's mouth. Two months later, the same fruit would have ripened and would be really using the "f" word as if he was the one who coined it. Reason: Ishtyle.

Coming from a school which was really an apology for a co-education environment, I was not sure about girls' lingo until I reached college. "Cho Chweeet"( In her majesty's language it translates to "So Sweet") exclaimed a girl the first time she saw me. I was already in the third rock from heaven but was quickly transferred to cruel earth when I realized that she was really refering to the dog which has on the huge billboard behind me. That day was the day I started hating two things. Cho Chweet and Dogs..Girls find everything from Street Dogs to Bill Clinton -"Cho Chweet" although both Clinton and Dogs have one thing in common with respect to women- they really lick as if you were "Cho Chweet".

The most outstanding lingo of all time has to be "Arre Yaar". My Hindi is as good as my Armenian but I have always got along with my Hindi speaking friends by interspersing my English sentences with "Arre Yaar". Arre Yaar, What movies shall we go to? Arre Yaar!, Tendulkar is out. Hare Rama Arre Yaar Hare Krishna. I truly suspect whether most of the Hindi speaking "log" even know anything other than "Maine Kya Kaha!" " Tune Kya Kaha" "Arre Yaar, Sab Gadubadu Ho Gaya" "Ok Chal Bye". Use these four sentences in permutations and combinations and you have groomed yourself into a Hindi dude.

What the f***, its 7, Arre Yaar got to go Yaar, Sab Gadubadu Ho Gaya yaar, this code is not "Cho Chweet". Whatever Ok Chal Bye...

Wassup? Machan.
Ur blog's kinda cool...
it's like, you know like...whatever.

here goes...
~Pradeep

Post a Comment