« Home | Bhopal--- a tragedy that happend in 1984- still ha... » | Red Sox Victory finds a mention in Mount Road Maha... » | Shankaracharya's arrest has generated a lot of pag... » | My novel hasn't gone anywhere. It is stuck at Chap... » | "Kanna, ONE For INDIA ku donate pannu. Angae ORU D... » | Corruption prevails everywhere in India. Have you ... » | Just ONE dollar a day: has built 20 watershed stru... » | This news should have made it to the front pages. ... » | As Shankaracharya was put behind the bars, few ima... » | The King of romance One more romantic Shahrukh Kh... » 

12/02/2004 

Public Speaking

"Inga va paa, lead the assembly today" said my PT Sir. I started shivering in my spine and there was liquid wetting my shorts. I was in Eighth Standard, new school and everything. The school had an unique way of deciding who was going to lead the assembly- quite a dictatorial way as well. The PT(Periya Thollai- Big Trouble in English) Sir basically decided to make a scapegoat of one harmless innocent soul every morning. You cannot say "no" because of the image problem in front of the "figures" in class :-)

So, I walked up first time and the last thing I wanted to do was to piss in fear. So, I adjusted my pants like Sachin Tendulkar does everytime he faces a ball and exchanged a few smiles with the shorties of each class( they stand at the head of the line). The Principal arrived and said "start". I shouted out "School, Attention" , "School Stand At Ease", "Attention and "Stand At Ease". Ouch!!! there was a slight murmur. No I dint piss!! It was because at the four command the school should have been in attention and not stand -at-ease. Instead of calling one more attention and then saying "school prayer", I chose to reinvent the wheel. I went again and called "School Stand -At Ease" "School-Attention", "SAE" "Attention" and then the prayer started. It was the first time I realized how nice it was to pray and thank God for all his favors. At most of the other times during prayer at school,you look at the goodlooking senior girls in 12th standard or kick the guy before you or look whether the teacher handling Chemistry was absent for the day as you haven't finished her homework.

My ordeals for the day did not end. Even before the headmistress could make an annoucement that he had to make, I said "School Disperse". After that incident, I thought I would never be invited but then after a while, I was invited every day to do the honors. I guess the girls would have complained that my eyes were wandering too much and they would rather see my leading the school than behind their back.

Public speaking is really an art. Its like your girl next door- looks easy but it is very difficult to get :-) . Over the years, I have attended talks on this topic and they have always emphasized that to enthrall audience, you have to present an enjoyable cocktail of humor and message. The one man who got the proportion wrong and the cocktail became too heady was Mr. Jeppiar.

Jeppiar has over the years gone from worse to worstest. Age doesn't really catch up with him. He is like wine- the older it gets, more valuable it becomes. The first time I heard Jeppiar, I was in splits. I never knew that Her Majesty's Language could be murdered so effortlessly in front of 1000 people. You would tend to beleive that Mr.Jeppiar might be the sole reason behind India's independence. An absolutely audacious delivery with no care or concern for grammar , a miserable and conspicuous lack of diction in jugalbandhi with an abject slaughter of logic and reason. How else would you term a man who says "No ragging. If ragging, we arrest police" :-)

An equally embarassing incident happend in my life while I was presenting at a fundraiser a few months back. I was talking about an initative called
"Guria" . The lights were on me - bright and shining. It was so luminous that it clouded my eyes and brain. At that point, I said "This project aims to promote second generation population" . There was a huge uproar in the room. In one moment, I almost changed the focus of the organization, I bit my tongue, blamed the lights, corrected myself and proclaimed in Caesaresque fashion "WE aim to end second generation prostitution". I might have corrected myself and done justice but my friends remind me from time to time about that day under the lights.

I agree with Seinfeld when he says" The greatest fear of people is 1. Public Speaking and 2. Death. So it means, people would be happy to be in the coffin than reading an eulogy" :-)

hilarious :)

Jagan
Jeppiar - Vazhga!!!... You find it funny reading my blog. Imagine him talking like this face to face with me... It is extremely hard to control your laughter...

Dude
If Jeppiar meant it as a joke, you can laugh at it but the dude is serious when he says such stuff in English... One interesting incident - once the college was celebrating Independce day. As usual, our man did the honors of hosting the flag. The compere, relatively new to public speaking, said "the chairman will flag the hoist" (instead of hoist the flag). The whole college burst into a laughter at her mistake but our man thought they were laughing at him. He obviously dint realize her mistake and he started shouting furiously, "Who am I, the JEPPIAR" :-)

At most of the other times during prayer at school,you look at the goodlooking senior girls in 12th standard or kick the guy before you or look whether the teacher handling Chemistry was absent for the day as you haven't finished her homework yes sir... yes sir... yes sirr...... haahhahahaha... been there.... done wonly that....
hahahaha.... I am still laughing....
still wondering how I couldve possibly missed your blog all this while?!?!?!?!

Anon,
We all have been there, done that and done only that:-)

Post a Comment