« Home | JOHNNY JOHNNY YES PAPA!!!! I am touching the roof... » | I found this in a friends blog. Isn't it amazing h... » | I think the world is going crazy. I totally endor... » | Miracles do happen as this one proves - Sandalwood... » | Ironies - never end The second test match between ... » | Presidential Debate at ASU. Some photos courtesy -... » | Remember Bhopal. Dec 3, 1984 is definitely a black... » | Time for Sparky's pushups I got the feeling that ... » | As I am watching the political race between the Bu... » | I am writing as I am watching the third debate. On... » 

10/21/2004 

Headlines

I read a headline on Yahoo the other day which could have walked right into the portals of Jay leno's section on "headlines". Yahoo Sports reported "Venus Conquers Sperm". I was taken back as I thought the reporting was anachronistic as Venus had conquered the sperm( or rather its producer) a few thousand years back. For folks who did not get it, Venus is the Roman Goddess of Love and Beauty. Sperm, for those who bunked the Zoology classes in 9th grade, is the main culprit in increasing the world's population as it leaves its heavenly abode and tries to fuse with the female egg.

Just like Mr.Leno would say in his show, for more headlines please NBC.com > The Tonight Show with Jay Leno/ Headlines

Media uses these headlines very effectively to further their sales/viewership. I once bought a Tamil newspaper which read "President Dead". When I opened the newspaper, there was anews item dedicated to the death of the President in the last page for three lines. The President indeed was dead but it was the President of Togoland. Just in case you did not know where Togoland was, Prez Bush might now as it might be a part of coalition in the war against Iraq.