« Home | Today something unusual happend at work. There was... » | Hollywood plans to take Bhopal to the screen read ... » | 20 years and Counting..... TORTURE ME by a Bhopal... » | Public Speaking "Inga va paa, lead the assembly t... » | Bhopal--- a tragedy that happend in 1984- still ha... » | Red Sox Victory finds a mention in Mount Road Maha... » | Shankaracharya's arrest has generated a lot of pag... » | My novel hasn't gone anywhere. It is stuck at Chap... » | "Kanna, ONE For INDIA ku donate pannu. Angae ORU D... » | Corruption prevails everywhere in India. Have you ... » 

12/09/2004 

I was watching Sports List on Fox Sports Net last evening. The show was presented by the always smiling and ever elegant Summer Sanders. The list was about sportsmen who decided to hang their boots while they were at the peak of their powers. The list included some big names like Michael Jordan , Magic Johnson etc...

I decided to write about a sports list of my own

[Random Note: Lists remind me of MMKR. No, this is not a hindi movie.( folks these days tend to believe all four letter acronyms are hindi movies) MMKR= Michael Madhana Kamarajan. Maliga Kada List that Kamal gets from Crazy Mohan. Adhan ippo Kudumbame +2 aayiduthae :-) Kaapi podi rendu kilova irruke angavastharathila jariga madhiri.....]

0. If you were a fan, you don't want to be irritating: the only answer to this is Artest of Indiana Pacers. Wasn't it some kind of a brawl.

1.Most Dramatic Sports Moment: Javed Miandad doing his monkey jumps in Sydney in front of the wicketkeeper who wanted "more". In one moment, he put all monkeys out of fashion.

2. Most Passive sportsman: Ivan Lendl. He can easily beat our ex-PM Narasimha Rao for the most wodden face all time.

3.Hawtest Sportswoman: I am tempted to say Anna Kournikova but for some reason I have searched the internet for "Mary Pierce" more times than Anna. There is something about Mary

4. Heartbreaking Sports Moment: It has to be when Javed Miandad hit that ball from T.Rajendar (sorry Chetan Sharma) over the stands in Sharjah. There were tears flowing down my cheeks as a 7 seven year old.

5. Heartstopping sports moment: As a lover of Aussie cricket, it has to be the moment that Lance Klusener hit ball to Mark Waugh at mid-on and sprinted for a single. When you thought it was all over, Allan Donald runs like a duck and gets run out at the other end.

6. Unbelievable Sports town: Has to be Boston. Where else would you find a city not giving up on its baseball team for 86 long years. What makes the love affair even more special is the fact that the city of Boston has had some illustrious teams in basketball and football, yet Bostoners are always associated with the Red Sox.

Notable mention: Tempe, AZ. The one small town that has hosted the super bowl. Every year hosts the fiesta bowl. Week in and week out every fall, hosts the Arizona State Sun Devils and Arizona Cardinals.

7. Biggest Sports Rivalry: OSU-Micihigan, Auburn-Alabama, Yankees- Sox, Lakers-Kings, Giants-Dodgers, brazil-Argentina are all great rivalries, but nothing beats the perfervid "India-Pakistan" clashes.

8. Most audacious sportsman to watch: Terrel Ownes[T.O]... He is attrocious. A few weeks back, he was giving an interview on TV and what was he wearing - a T shirt that boldly proclaimed "I Love T.O"

9. If I was born again as a sportsman, I want to be : Most folks who know me expect me to stay "Steve Waugh" but I am saying Andre Agassi. I would do anything for Steffi Graf :-).

10. If I am born again and if I cannot be me, I would want to be: Steve Waugh.

ha, I was also watching FSN's sports list. yeah summer sanders is sexy.
if we were to have a list of 'top 10 unwilling to retire sports people list', I guess our Kapil Dev would be No. 1 :)

I have a million things to say on this article. But let me just say a couple. I thought when Michael Jordan was going out, he was nowhere on top of his game. Just a relic of his phenomenal past.
I have had a million cricket moments that made me laugh and cry but the Miandad six was by far the saddest. I still feel sad about it:(
And if there are things that make me happy, well as a past resident of Boston, twice over and a fanatic of the BoSox, this year has been the best. The RedSox choosing to win after 86 years, the one year I lived in Boston and the one I got married...well, things really couldnt have gotten me more happier.
Go Sox !

MJ, as someone said in the program - "retired too early the first time and then when he did retire, it was lil too late". His saga took a hit when he decided to comeback with the Wizards. But anyday MJ is MJ. He is like the Sun or the moon. Fog can hide them but no one can vanish them...

Saranyan - I agree with you on Kapil Dev. I was a great fan of Kapil Dev until he chose to give some exercise to his tear glands.... taht too on international TV.

thanks a lot for the honorable mention of Tempe in your list. but there is a small correction tempe aint no small college town like college station (texas A&M), Annarbor(Michigan) etc.. Its a bustling city which is at 15 minutes from downtown Phoenix .Ofcourse Arizona State is the biggest attraction in Tempe. Infact Phoenix itself does not stand alone as a city. It includes seven cities around it (Tempe, Mesa, Glendale, Chandler, Gilbert,Scottsdale and peoria).


Spidey

Hey Spidey
I was in Tempe for four long and amazing years. So I am well versed about Phoenix and its geography. I meant small in terms of the map of the United States. The city of Tempe doesn't even find a mention unlike Tucson or Flagstaff or sometimes even Mesa. Anyways, thanks for the correction- Point noted...

I know another Spidey very well and I am sure you are not him. So, Mr.Spidey can you tear open your mask

Post a Comment