« Home | Back in AC, ouch AZ I am right now in Arizona. Th... » | Usaar Pakiri OB Adikaran Machi < Smart Dude is was... » | Capital Punishment - Are we justified We have see... » | Two Births- August 15 August 15- 19 years ago was... » | Arivudai Nambi Kaliyaperumal Chandran "Sattaila E... » | Horro(r)Scopes "Unnaku Nallavadhu Padhautla Moona... » | Hail Seinfeld... One of my friends, Saranyan( htt... » | 100... Last post was my 100th post. Quite surprise... » | God Save Indian sports One Billion people and one ... » | Times of India Misses a Beat Read the headline bel... » 

8/18/2004 

India - 0 Gold 1 Silver 0 Bronze
Few weeks back, I had echoed my views on the present Olympic squad. I had not named Major Rajvardhan Singh Rathore as a genuine medal prospect and had called him as just another bad egg. Man, he proved me wrong. He won a Silver medal in Double Trap Shooting. Hats off to the Major.

My obsession with the Olympics began in 1988 when they used to show a 1 hr package of the games in Doordarshan at 7:30. I used to curse DD for showing so little. After watching the partisan jingoistic American media coverage of the Olympics, I have to give DD a pat on the back. United States Television coverage has always been married to neptoism but these games have taken it to a new low. The United States Basketball Team has been an object of approbium. They lost to Puerto Rico; I wouldn't be totally surprised if Fox, ABC and NBC still lap up the disgrace by shamefully calling the defeat as a noble gesture towards one of US commonwealth nations. Puerto Ricans vote in American elections- they are considered to be a part of the United States. Soon Afghanistan and Iraq will follow suit into the U.S. commonwealth. :=)

America has been suffering reverses in many fronts. Roddick and Venus Williams lost. Maybe they wanted to take a break from the Olympics and prepare for the U.S. open. Again, in an era driven by professionalism, this might not seem totally out of place.