« Home | Arivudai Nambi Kaliyaperumal Chandran "Sattaila E... » | Horro(r)Scopes "Unnaku Nallavadhu Padhautla Moona... » | Hail Seinfeld... One of my friends, Saranyan( htt... » | 100... Last post was my 100th post. Quite surprise... » | God Save Indian sports One Billion people and one ... » | Times of India Misses a Beat Read the headline bel... » | Ishtyle Statement "He is a cheapo ya" commented o... » | Duh! I have had this feeling for quite some time n... » | vi chennai.MEM This weekend resembled Advani's ra... » | Once in a blue moon on Saturday. Two full moons on... » 

8/11/2004 

Two Births- August 15

August 15- 19 years ago was the day my brother was born. I was 7 then and I don't really recollect my first reaction to his birth. In those days, only grocery stores used to have telephone lines and my aunt got the news from the hospital and carried it all the way to my house few tens of miles apart. I was expecting him for 7 to 8 months and we had even christened him. But his birthday on August 15, changed our plans and we decide to name the small baby boy - "Bharath". At 7, I was proud of him; mighty proud of him just because of his birthday- A pride that you usually reserve for the greatest of your countrymen. I would tell my classmates with a certain degree of cockiness that my brother was born on Independence day.We grew up to become very different siblings. Some of our greatest moments came in front of the television set, cheering those hated Aussies. We loved the Aussie cricket team. Steve Waugh, Mark Waugh, Shane Warne, Michael Bevan, Glenn McGrath, Adam Gilchrist, Ricky Ponting, Jason Gillespie etc etc were like part of my family. Happy Birthday - Little Brother!!! I am still proud of you more because its you and less because of your birthday!!! He is 19 and he has miles to go before he sleeps.

August 15- India awoke to freedom at the midnight hour in 1947. We are 57 years old. Whoa!!. As we pat our back on our achievements, we should also spare a thought for all those people who died crossing the border on the fateful day of the partition. Many of still regard Pakistan as a sworn enemy and would love to blast the shit out of them. But won't the two countries be better served if the billions spent in defence is spent in improving the lot of suffering people. 16.74 billon dollars will be India's defence spending of the year. A lot of money considering nearly 50% of the population still makes less than a dollar a day. If you ask P.Chidambram about this gulf, all he will have to say in encouragement, would be "Main Hoon Na"

One thing is for certain, we are 57 but we are not old and we have miles to go before we sleep. Vande Mataram!