« Home | Two Births- August 15 August 15- 19 years ago was... » | Arivudai Nambi Kaliyaperumal Chandran "Sattaila E... » | Horro(r)Scopes "Unnaku Nallavadhu Padhautla Moona... » | Hail Seinfeld... One of my friends, Saranyan( htt... » | 100... Last post was my 100th post. Quite surprise... » | God Save Indian sports One Billion people and one ... » | Times of India Misses a Beat Read the headline bel... » | Ishtyle Statement "He is a cheapo ya" commented o... » | Duh! I have had this feeling for quite some time n... » | vi chennai.MEM This weekend resembled Advani's ra... » 

8/12/2004 

Capital Punishment - Are we justified

We have seen it in movies when the victim is about to be hanged, the protoganist will come from nowhere and save the 'to be hanged'. . On Saturday, Dhanajoy Chatterjee will be sentenced to death for raping and murdering a 14 year old in 1990. There will be no heroes who will come and save him in the last minute. Even the President of India has given him guillotine orders. In a nation which boasts of non-violence and peaceful co-existence, is hanging the ultimate punishment for a man's notoriety?

Is the constituition really justified in sentencing a man to death? I have looked at it at two ways and I want this law to be repealed just like POTA. From a very sadisitc angle, death is too easy an ending for such an heinous crime. Ask any deserter or quitter, who is ailing with pain, they will tell you that they want to die rather than writhe in pain. You should keep him alive in a concentration camp like setting and make him realize his mistake and what he is missing. From an humanistic angle, I would say the Governemnt should be charged with murder everytime it hangs someone. The constituition treats suicide as an offence - meaning even you don't have the right to take away your life. I cannot find the rationale behind the Government taking over your life when it says you don't have the right to end it.

Capital Punishments need to go. I am sure there will be conflicting views on this and I would love to hear them. Let us pray that Dhanajoy rests in peace.

Where will Dhananjoy be hanged?

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

These are the views of an Anonymous reader who posted a comment about his post and I delted it by mistake. I am sorry.
*******************************************************
I think the more astonishing and mind boggling thing about this whole thing is that Dhananjoy's wife is pleading for his life!! His Wife?? Shouldnt she have felt so sick in her stomach the very day she learnt of what Dhananjoy did that she should've not only denounced him but also have nothing to do with him or his family at all?

Listen woman...not only is your "husband" a pedophile and a rapist but also a dirty murderer.

Kill him or not ? I personally dont care as long as he is not on the streets but I definitely think the outlook of women in India should change! Its been too much of "Kal aanalum Kanavan...Pull aanalum purushan" (even if he's a stone he is my husband, even if he is just grass he is my husband.)

On one side of the spectrum are husbands who will have to spend weeks on the couch for ogling at the girl in the mall....on the other hand are the countless wives of so many Dhananjoys!!
********************************************************

I am surprised that you have singled out Indian women. I think women in the world are generally more vulnerable and emotionally attached than men. Even in the western world, where women are supposed to be more educated, women have this "purported allegiance" to whatever her man does. Best example: Kobe. He goes out on national TV claiming he had committed adultery. All his wife does is just sit there and later accept his million dollar ring.

This gives all the more reason to keep him alive and make him feel miserable for betraying his wife's trust. Blood is thicker than water and even the worst of the worst will rue their follies as the clock ticks away.

Well..you said it yourself. The reason --> "MILLION DOLLAR RING". And I am sure everyone will agree that "Jane Doe" (a.k.a Kobe's victim) had sex with kobe and sued him for money. And again a rich man having sex and a man raping and killing a 14 year old student arent even in the same boat...nope not even in the same seas --> one is a "Civil Case" and the other is a "Death Sentence".

"Blood is thicker than water" -- I agree! That is the reason I can understand Dhananjoy's Mother and Father supporting him.

BTW...To help clear my point, I wasnt singling out Indian women. I was singling out the "Sati Stri" type of Indian women whom you wouldnt find in the Cities anymore.

guys, I think we are offtrack here. I agree with Sud's views on capital punishment. the core objective of justice and punishment is to reform a person, rather than wiping him out altogether.

Btw, Jane Doe sued Kobe for money only after the trial judge allowed to use her sex history. I have totally different views on this case. From the beginning I knew this is going to go nowhere.

We digressed a bit mainly due to me dragging Kobe into it. I just wanted to use it to reiterate that the "purported allegiance" is not restricted to "sati stri" type Indian women but also to women across the globe. I also strongly subscribe to the view that crime is a crime be it rape, murder or adultery as the emotional scars caused by these heinous acts will take a long time to heal.

Well, I really do not have very strong feelings on the subject of hanging Dhananjoy, but if left to me to decide , I would have most probably just left him imprisioned, which reinforces your argument against the capital punishment. But then again as I said, I cannot fathom how his wife could mourn for him. Man its been 14 years for god's sake...why didnt she get a life? Do you agree with that?. A crime is a crime agreed....but being in love with a person who raped and killed a child?

I truly agree with your thoughts about his wife. I think she should have really got a life. What is even more amazing to think about is the fact that the immediate members of his family are threatening suicide for his sake. How weird can human emotions be?

Post a Comment