« Home | When were you born? Was it 1871 » | Can someone explain this to me » | KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid"As you simplify your l... » | Run Forrest Run One of the main raison d'etre for... » | The Pulp Fiction HangoverThanks to Vincent Vega, w... » | The path of the righteous man is beset on all side... » | HELLO !!! HELLLO!!! HELLLO!!!!!This wasn't the tim... » | I have heard the complaints about the Government o... » | Monday, Bloody MondayNext Monday, this time I will... » | Its Carnatic Music on the Guitar, Its DifferentPra... » 

6/05/2005 

Holy Smokes

I have read from almost every blog that I visited this morning that smoking has been banned in Indian movies. Some blogs welcomed it and some condemned it. I did not want to be left out on the subject and hence thought I would weigh in my smart ass comments as well. As someone who has been pro choice on most issues like abortion, gay marriage etc, I think the Government is acting like a moral police by saying no cigarettes on screen. In terms of sheer stupidity, I would place this law right alongside Bajrang Dal supporters assaulting Valentine's Day observers and Shiv Sena chiding couples holding hands in public places.

I think Dr.Anbumani Ramadoss must spend his time on health issues that are more relevant rather trying to gather attention by sensationalism. If people in the Bay Area want to get his opinion on the cigratte smoking ban, here is a chance

Imagine what Indian movies would have been without our thalaivar and his flying cigarette!!

If anything should be banned..it should be Shakeela movies and rain dances! Oh but then what would happen to our politicans's favourite past time -- midnight massla!

I know this is bordering on basic rights and freedom of speech. But that said, given the adoration for all things cinema in India, this maybe that one time I agree to censorship of any kind.

That said, anonymous comment on the rain dances is a hoot. Why are films getting irrevocably raunchy for no reason. Is this the new age of sexual awakening in India ?

Post a Comment