« Home | "Lets Go Devils'[LGD] - I was shouting as my voice... » | HATE HATE Yesterday was the day 20 years back, Pr... » | Read this-agirlcalleddivya If you are guy, you wou... » | Boston won yesterday and put to rest the ghosts of... » | BOSTON WINS!!!!! Thanksgiving 2003- Red Sox GM Th... » | Is this for real? is the temporary title of my nov... » | Watch this Space I am going to be playing the ro... » | Today is Saraswathi Pooja. I loved this day when ... » | Isn't the world getting more and more bizzare??? M... » | Headlines I read a headline on Yahoo the other da... » 

11/02/2004 

ROCK THE VOTE
I am terribly disappointed with American Elections. No Holiday!!!. In India, elections happen with a huge fan fare. I remember in the good ol' days of Doordarshan, election days were much awaited as there used to movie telecasts interspersed with the latest and greatest news. Even the campaign trail, no posters, no auto rickshaws blaring "MGR" songs. No wonder we call ourselves "a vibrant democracy".

I have a profound love for the election process. The irony is that I have never had a chance to cast the ballot in any election except a school election in which I voted for myself. I desperately wanted to cast my vote in this years Indian election but the Indian constituition does not allow for folks sitting outisde the Indian shores to cast their votes. You are talking close to 74,000 Indian students being disenfranchised and this is twice the number of legtimate voters in Lakshwadeep.

The least I could do was send a few emails to Economic Times, Hindu and Indian Express and ET responded with a news article. I am under the impression that the new Government is making progress in amending the constituition so that it allows Indians living outside India to vote.