« Home | Sideways: A Roadtrip at leisurely placeI have neve... » | Its Carnatic Music on the Guitar, Its DifferentPra... » | That Four Letter WordHindu Journalist Sudhish Kama... » | Trains of ThoughtHow about making love on a real t... » | God Bless the Queen"Fat bottomed girls you make th... » | Water! Water!Water is the biggest elixir of life. ... » | Hakuna MatataDid you know that all hue and cry abo... » | Planes, trains and automobiles I watched the movi... » | Dirty DozenDISCLAIMER: The title has no connection... » | Love Da Fight Club Watched this piece of shit mov... » 

4/11/2005 

Home - Away from Home

As a desi in the Bay Area, there is no shortage of good Indian food. It has been a year since I have been here and for the last six months, I have hardly cared to savor Indian food in a restaurant. I had simply lost the craving for eating desi food outside. Nope, I hadn't got married but it just got too monotonous. Finally, last week I ate out twice and both times at the same place. Komala Vilas in Sunnyvale is an excellent place to enjoy an everyday meal cooked in South Indian homes. The Sambar, Rasam [ saathumudu , as it is called in Iyengar homes like mine], The curry [Curryamudu], kootu, buttermilk served in tumblers and the payasam bring back memories of grandmom to me. Komala Vilas really rocks!!!.

that komala vilas lunch is something man. whenever I go there I gaina few extra pounds :)

I like Komala vilas too. In fact the very first day I landed in the Bay area from Ohio ( Aug-2000) My cousin took me directly from SFO to Komala Vilas.

Great food..no fancy cutlery..but fills the stomach and brings back old memories.!!

Vayiththerichchalai kilappaatheenga; inge enga aaththukku pakkaththule Woodlands um Madras Palace um irukku but Komala Vilas Komala Vilas thaan. Maybe enakku future kku oru idea kidaichchiduththu - start a Komala Vilas chapter for the DC area and treat Washingtonians to the finest in South Indian vegetarian cuisine.

Saranyan
yeah the calories keep building if you eat there regularly

Jagan
Yeah!!! The ambience rocks as well. It is just like a mess with no fancy wall hangings etc

Thennavan
KV in Washington is a good idea!!! Maybe the Prez will stop there and pick up grub as well

is tat the same as singapore komalas near nungambakkam high road back here?

I have been there once and I loved it. And one change to your post. Payasam goes by the name Thirukanamudhu :)

TLB
I realized it yesterday but was too lazy to post the change :-)

Post a Comment